Select a SchoolSchool of Arts & Humanities
Select a ProgrammeSculpture
Select a StudentNora Aurrekoetxea
School of Arts & Humanities
Focused on the emotional and psychological aspects of experiences I use personal and social experiences as a raw material in order to arise issues based in human interactions and relationships, particularly looking at the entangled relation between individual and collective psychological dynamics.
My work takes relational aspects, material aspects and linguistic aspects as a point of departure to force encounters and / or mismatches in between the experiential and emotional (untouchable but not imperceptible) and the physical and the objectual (touchable and perceptible).
I am interested in creating spaces where the encounter with the viewer can occur: the exchange of doing, giving, receiving...
looking for the 3rd meaning,
The objects presented in relationship with the space that is inscribed need each other - functioning like a codependency system, where the materiality reaches its own autonomy.
being the instability of narratives the structure of it,
a radical imbalance.
This co-dependency is what gives each object its meaning, while interested in the openness of readings.
This includes the missing or imagined - often referencing the body trough the absence of it, I am attracted to the desruptive connection in between preexisting objects and made ones, often materialised with the contrast in between building and intimate materials.
I use installations to create relational systems where different formal languages (text, performance and objects ) share the same space and time.
- BA Fine Arts, University of the Basque Country, UPV-EHU, 2013; Postgraduate in Sexology, In.ci.sex. Madrid, 2013
- Artists talk and tutorials, Farnham University for the Creative Arts, 2019; Artists talk and tutorials, Lancaster Institute for Contemporary Arts, 2018; Residency, Solomon R.Guggenheim Museum, New York, 2018; Residency, Cité Internationale des Arts, Paris, 2018; Y RESIDENCY, Athens, 2016; BILBAOARTE Foundation Residency, Bilbao, 2015; Founder, OKELA Artist Run Space, Bilbao, 2014–17
- 'jausi, erori, amildu' ITINERARIOS XXV, Centro Botín, Santander, 2019; 'Dirty Hands and Revelations', Standpoint gallery, London, 2019; 'Matter', County Hall Gallery, London, 2019; 'OPEN STUDIO', Festival des 'Traversées du Marais', Cité Internationale des Arts, Paris, 2018; 'IM SCHWARM DER OBJEKTE', Cité Internationale des Arts, Paris, 2018; Women's Art Practice and Thinking, A Staged Event, Dorich House Museum, London, 2018; 'A STRONG NEED FOR SECURITY AND A SENSE OF BELONGING', Sala Rekalde, Abstract Cabinet, Bilbao, 2017; 'Futuro Presente', Sala Amadís, Injuve, Madrid, 2017; 'Katalepsis', BilbaoArte Foundation, Bilbao, 2016; STABILITY, STRUCTURE AND SUPPORT, Y Residency, Athens, 2016
- Basque Government Visual Arts Grant, 2018; Fundación Botín Visual Arts Grant, 2017; BilbaoArte Foundation Solo Show Award, 2016; Visual Arts Grant for Artistic Production, Diputación Foral de Bizkaia, 2015
- Fundación Botín Visual Arts Grant 2017
- Fundación Botín Visual Arts Grant, Basque Government Visual Arts Grant