Select a SchoolSchool of Arts & Humanities
Select a ProgrammePainting
Select a StudentMaïa Régis
Dusty Veal's Head
Two large paintings of 3.6m x 2.9m.
One featuring a veal's head on a pedestal and the other a dog lying in the grass. Both feature armchairs.
The paintings are acrylic on canvas and embroidered linen tablecloth.
School of Arts & Humanities
Powder bottles labeled 'PEACE (20mg)' or 'RUN DEVIL RUN'.
Carefully packed bouquets of dried sage leaves. Sliced potatoes, mud-covered roots, decaying fish heads. Cries of a strawberry vendor mixed with the smell of rotten meat.
Images of urban chaos, minor incidents in everyday life, neglected places, noisy, colourful and spontaneous popular atmospheres: ex-voto imagery, Cuban rituals, African barbershop signs, mountains of food in the markets.
The surfaces on which I paint are irregular: they are informed by chance, traces of work, dirt, cuts, seams, postbags, coffee sacks, embroideries: they are living, organic skins.
- BA Fine Art, Chelsea College of Arts, University of the Arts London, 2017
- Talk and teaching experience, Wimbledon College of Arts, 2019
- 'What Kind of Spirit is This', Sim Smith Gallery, London, 2019; 'Cicatrices', VO Curations, 12th Floor, London, 2019; Signori Prego Si Accomodino, Nuove / Contemporary Art Production, Palermo, 2018; Bloomberg New Contemporaries, John Moore’s University, Liverpool Biennial, 2018; Bloomberg New Contemporaries, South London Gallery, London, UK, 2018; 'More Life', Hockney Gallery, Royal College of Art, London, 2018; FBA Futures, Main Gallery and Threadneedle Space, Mall Galleries, London, 2018; Griffin Art Prize 2018, Griffin Gallery, London, 2018; Bloomberg New Contemporaries, Baltic Center for Contemporary Art, Newcastle, 2017; Bloomberg New Contemporaries, Block 336, London, 2017; 'Mythical Mackerel', Crypt Gallery, London, 2017; 'Peace in it bit by bit II', Crypt Gallery, London, 2016; 'Papiers brossés', Permanent Exhibition at Galerie FrançoisˇCharles, Vidauban, France, 2016; 'International Exhibition 21:11', Emily Carr University Gallery, Vancouver, Canada, 2015
- Talk at the Royal College of Art, Gorvy Lecture Theatre, January 2019
- Floorr Magazine, Online, Issue 18, 2019; ArtMaze Mag, Issue 7 Spring Edition, 2018; Young Space: Maïa Régis interview, 2017
- Bloomberg New Contemporaries, 2018; Bloomberg New Contemporaries, 2017; Griffin Art Prize, 2017; FBA Futures, 2018