Select a SchoolSchool of Arts & Humanities
Select a ProgrammeHistory of Design
Select a StudentAnna Part
Sugarcoating the Past: Quakers, Nostalgia and Empire in British Confectionery Industry Advertising and Packaging, 1850–1914
My final MA dissertation, Sugarcoating the Past: Quakers, Nostalgia, and Empire in British Confectionery Industry Advertising and Packaging, 1850–1914, analyses the content and context of the material culture produced by the confectionery industry in Britain between 1850 and the start of the First World War. Run by an oligopoly of Quaker businessmen, this industry has become famous for its ties to the Society of Friends, but how much did this religion really influence the promotional materials that the confectionery industry produced? This thesis examines the advertising and packaging produced by the British confectionery industry by exploring the Rowntree Company Archives housed in the Borthwick Institute for Archives at York University. Through these records the impact that the relationships that Quaker business owners formed is revealed to have influenced this industry in ways that have not yet been explored by other confectionery historians in order to uncover the complex networks that operated behind the scenes.
Additional areas of study include Queer, Urban, and Marketing and Advertising Histories, as well as both historical and practical study of Japanese Arita Porcelain Vessels.
School of Arts & Humanities
MA History of Design
- BA History, Art History Minor, University of New Mexico, 2015; MA History of Design, V&A/RCA, 2019
- Exhibition manager, V&A/RCA History of Design, London, 2019; Development assistant, New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science Foundation, Albuquerque, NM, 2016; Teaching assistant, New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science Foundation, Albuquerque, NM, 2015
- V&A/RCA MA Graduate Show, Dyson Gallery, London, 2019; DECOLONISING: The Museum/Design Practice/The Curriculum/Historiography, Gorvy Lecture Theatre, London, 2018; Interactive Object Histories, Hockney Gallery, London, 2018
- Sugarcoating the Past: 19th Century Confectionery, History of Design Symposium 2018, V&A/RCA History of Design, 11 December 2018
- Confectionery, Almanac, 2019