Select a SchoolSchool of Arts & Humanities
Select a ProgrammeContemporary Art Practice
Select a StudentChristopher Tym
Kiss Me Click — The Visual Album
Kiss Me Click — The Visual Album is ostensibly a series of pop music videos bound together by the narrative experiences of those creating it.
Initially the project began as a critical exposition of pop music's imagery but it soon transpired that the heart of the project was in its production — By re-staging the aesthetics and tropes of pop music videos, a re-staging of gender roles and hierarchies also occurred. A catch-22 of trying to dissect the politics of pop construction but actually exposing it by inadvertently recreating it.
Kiss Me Click itself becomes a document of own creation, an experiential journey of the vulnerabilities surrounding commodification, capitalism and performativity (both in front of and behind the camera) but moreover, it is a dialogue about revising the status-quo by cultivating a cooperative understanding of how we want to construct our own images.
This project would not be what it is without the people and voices who helped create it — Jaana-Kristiina Alakoski, Victoria Kaldan, Nadja Voorham, Ofelia Jarl Ortega & Bess Barkholt Anders, who wrote and performed the pop songs and became an indispensable sparring partner. Collectively, Kiss Me Click is an open conversation and reorganisation of the codes within a pop landscape that shape our identities.
School of Fine Art
MA Contemporary Art Practice
Using moving image and installation, I seek to understand pop cultural image production; how it is constructed, disseminated and utilised. Culture is filtered through mediated imagery, I choose to co-opt pop cultural frameworks that create these images and narratives — to harness that vocabulary to be able to talk about it on it’s own terms.
By deconstructing the semiotics of capitalist driven media, it is possible to reconstruct it to create a new narrative of extrication, curiosity and inclusivity.
- BA Audio Visual, Gerrit Rietveld Academie, The Netherlands, 2012; Xiamen University Art College (exchange), China, 2011
- European Exchange Academy Advisor, EEA, Beelitz, 2014
- Wiolators: Reykjavik Edition, Rejkjavik Art Mussum, Rejkjavik, 2015; Chat Show, Homesession, Barcelona, 2015; Las Condiciones Posibles, àngels barcelona, Barcelona, 2015; Exhibition No.1, Supercollider, Blackpool, 2014; I Love Your Manners Full of Deciet, Knipsu, Bergen, 2014; Our Times No.2, Mexico Project Space, Leeds, 2013; Still In Motion, Frascati Theater, Amsterdam, 2013; [S]elected, Castrvm Peregrini, Amsterdam, 2012; Startpoint Prize, DOX Center For Contemporary Art, Prague, 2012; Best of Graduates, Ron Mandos, Amsterdam, 2012; EEA Decennial, Flutgraben, Berlin, 2012; Expanded Cinema, Eye Film Instituut, Amsterdam, 2012; And Now Turn Around, No Boundary Space, Xiamen, 2011
- Young Art Fund Amsterdam, 2014
- RCA Continuation Fund 2016