Select a SchoolSchool of Arts & Humanities
Select a ProgrammeSculpture
Select a StudentRafaela Lopez
In collaboration with Georgia René-Worms
Swimming pool sculptures competition
Performance and documentation film
Production Villa Arson, HEAD-Geneva, Olympic Nice Natation and with the support of the Nice City Council
Sculpture Synchronisée presented a series of sculptures by
students from the Villa Arson, HEAD-Geneva and 10 guest artists,
designed as a competition, following the rules of the synchronised
The sculptures were moved in the water by the Olympic Nice Natation's swimmers, on choreographies by Chantal Moschetti, in collaboration with the artists.
12 January 2014, Piscine Jean Médecin, 178 rue de France, Nice, France
Artists : Laurie Charles - Lucile Diacono - Timothée Dufresne - Camille Dumond - Raphaël Emine & Omar Rodriguez - France Gayraud - Amandine Guruceaga - Lucie Hénault - Mathilde Lehmann - Sandra Lorenzi - Estrid Lutz & Émile Moule - Baptiste Masson - Gabriel Méo - Grégoire Motte - Jeanne Roche - Raphaelle Serre - Quentin Spohn - Nelly Toussaint - Agathe Wiesner & Arnaud Biais - Giuliana Zefferi
Jury : Frédéric Bauchet - Aude Launay - Michelle Massie - Pedro Morais - Laurent Perreau - Julien Schramm - Cyril Verde
Trophies : Jean-Baptiste Ganne
Presenters: Chantal Moschetti & Arnaud Labelle-Rojoux
Poster: We Are The Painters (Nicolas Beaumelle & Auréllien Porte)
Music : Compilation Bétonneuse-chloreuse, music compilation for swimming pool
Sound arrangement: Gauthier Tassart
Graphism: Virginie Diner & Emilie de Castro
Bétonneuse-chloreuse graphism: Virginie Diner & Rafaela Lopez
Photos & videos: Sidney Guillemin
Etat d'âme, State of the Mind
Production: Royal College of Art with the support of Bosse & Baum
Etat d'âme, State of the Mind is a film project directed by artist Rafaela Lopez. The film combines both fiction and documentary genres as well as employing the structure of reality TV shows.
Etats d'âme is a french expression without an accurate english translation. The translation would be situated somewhere between the literal translations 'state of mind' and 'state of soul'. However, 'state of mind' is not a synonym or translation of 'états d'âme'. It is a subtitle that raises the game of relationship between the expression's nuances of meanings.
Etats d'âme defines a state of being, connected both to the mind, body and soul, which implies a moral conscience close to the philosophy of romanticism, and refers to internal waves of a being. The états d'âme can only be felt by beings with a conscience, however here the expression is employed in relation to the sculptures created.
Originally used in the plural sense, Etats d'âme, the phrase employed here is singular, and through the translation adds a layer to the meaning, offering up a perspective on the current state of art.
Etat d'âme, State of the Mind, follows the lives of seven sculptures, made by seven artists from the Royal College of Art. Although the artists feature in the film, it is the sculptures which are conducting a daily retrospective, metaphysical and reflective speech upon their existence.
Artists : Saelia Aparicio - Philippe Daerendinger - Jamie Fitzpatrick - Valentina Pini - Natalie Price Hafslund - Lucia Quevedo - Marco Strappato - Sam Tierney - Julia Varela
Original musics: Aventure - Andrew Claristidge (Acid Washed) - Benjamin Blaquart - Crash Normal - Diederdas - Anne-Sophie Le Creurer - Sarah Maison & Eva Niollet - Miracle - Mother - Maxime Peloni & Lucas Sensi
Jingle conception: Benjamin Magot
Photography director: Margaux de Sermoise
Graphic design: Virginie Diner
School of Fine Art
Rafaela Lopez makes sculptures and installations for which she uses slightly modified second hand objects, highlighting their poetry tinged with irony.
She also conducts collaborative projects involving many participants from different fields, in which she positions herself as a 'director', questioning the shapes of the group show and the roles of each of the participants in it.
Both in her sculptural and collaborative work, Rafaela Lopez creates teams which, through their variety and their joyful solidarity, form eurythmic cacophonies.
In 2012, she has initiated the cycle of exhibitions 'Eté indien' at the Cité Scolaire François Villon in Paris. In 2014, she has organised, in collaboration with Georgia René-Worms, the performance Sculpture Synchronisée, a swimming pool sculptures competition.
- DNAP Fine Arts, Ecole Nationale Supérieure d'Art de Nice (Villa Arson), Nice, France; Art & Space, Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Arts Décoratifs de Paris (ENSAD), Paris, France
- Show Room Art-O-Rama, curated by Veronica Valentini, La Friche Belle de Mai, Marseille, France; Char Nah! Hor, curated by Jendrek Cichosz & Marvin Gaye Chetwynd, Open House Festival, Glasgow; Pause Patina, curated by Philippe Daerendinger & Sam Tierney, Camden Art Centre, London, UK; Studio Voltaire Open, curated by Cory Arcangel & Hanne Mugaas, Studio Voltaire, London, UK; Trivial BBQ, with Baptiste Masson & Virginie Diner, Flat Time House, London, UK; Please Stand By - Borderlands, curated by Rebecca Glover, Chisenhale Art Place, London, UK; Bétonneuse-Chloreuse, invited by Code Magazine 2.0, Fondation Brownstone, Paris, France; Nuit Européenne des Musées, Musée de la Chasse et de la Nature, Paris, France; Festival Nos yeux grand ouverts, Le Centquatre, Paris, France; Sculpture Synchronisée, with Georgia René-Worms, Piscine Municipale Jean Médecin, Nice, France; Le sens de la vague, curated by Stéphane Corréard, Galerie de la Marine, Nice, France; O & D, curated by Johan Acherman & Léa Bardin, CEAAC, Strasbourg, France; KIT, curated by Adrien Rovero, Galerie A&R, Monte Carlo, Monaco; Heart of Darkness, curated by Julien Bouillon & Richard Wentworth, Centre National d'Art Contemporain de la Villa Arson, Nice, France; 57ème Salon de Montrouge, curated by Stéphane Corréard, with Rebecca Lamarche-Vadel, Le Beffroi, Montrouge, France
- Let's Get it Started, Casa de Velazquez, Madrid, Spain; The Diagram as a Shape, invited by Elie During, Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Beaux Arts de Paris, France
- HECKLE, curated by Bryony White, London, UK; Parade, curated by Simon Cau & Manuel Fanzine, Paris, France; Sculpture Synchronisée, Felt Acts, London, UK; Sculpture Synchronisée, Code Magazine 2.0 #9, France and Belgium; Bétonneuse-Chloreuse, music compilation for swimming pool, CNAC Villa Arson, Nice, France - With the support of the Inrocks Labs; Le sens de la vague, graphism by Syndicat (François Havegeer & Sacha Léopold), text by Stéphane Corréard, Galerie de la Marine and Villa Arson, France; KIT, catalogue, Editions Pavillon Bosio, Monaco; Eté Indien, booklet by Virginie Diner & Rafaela Lopez, Cité scolaire François Villon, Paris, France; 57e Salon de Montrouge, text by Rebecca Lamarche-Vadel, Editions Particules, Paris, France; Trivial BBQ, with Baptiste Masson & Virginie Diner, Flat Time House, London, UK
- First prize, Contemporary Art Award, Ecohealth Journal, NYC, USA; Residency, Casa de Velazquez (Académie de France), Madrid, Spain; Residency, Villa Lena Art Foundation, Tuscany, Italy
- Scholarship, Fondation Kenza and Institut de France
- Villa Arson; HEAD-Geneva; Olympic Nice Natation; Nice City Council; Bosse & Baum