Disruptive Market Innovation Through Design
Dates: 16–19 July 2019
Duration: Four days
Location: RCA Kensington
Fee: Early bird course fee £1,080 until Thursday 28 February 2019 (regular price £1,200)
Please note: all course fees are for the course only and do not include accommodation, food or transport.
The fee includes basic materials for the course.
- Evolutionary stage
Participants will consider the role of iteration in product design.
- Revolutionary stage
Participants will approach the product from an entirely new perspective.
What will I learn?
- objectively analyse the features and benefits of a product
- create ideas that evolve products, taking them an iterative step forward
- understand the need for step-change innovation
- use extreme idea-generation techniques, such as idea mapping, analysis and identification
- use sketch modelling and presentation skills
- deepen confidence in step-change innovation techniques.
How will I learn?
The Disruptive Market Innovation Through Design course includes:
- disruptive idea-generation techniques
- hands-on exercises, and prototyping
- testing and iterative development.
Participants will work in interdisciplinary teams.
- have access to subject experts and experienced professionals
- return to your organisation with new tools for innovation and a greater ability to work collaboratively through interaction and networking with a diverse set of peers
- strengthen ideation and visualisation skills to realise design innovations
- learn prototyping skills.
Who should attend?
This short course will be useful for people interested in:
- creative idea generation techniques for design
- disruptive design innovation for real-world markets
- experiencing the teaching style of the Royal College of Art.
In the past we have attracted delegates such as:
- research and development teams
- innovation managers
- marketing managers
- creative directors
The programme is convened by Tim Corvin. Tim has over 20 years’ successful experience as an innovation and design consultant within leading international brand innovation and design agencies, working with global and regional clients including Unilever, Heineken, GlaxoSmithKline, Carlsberg and P&G. He has developed expertise in establishing and developing collaborative relationships and leading complex international multi-disciplinary innovation and branding projects, including new product development and creating 360-degree brand experiences, encompassing brand positioning and identity to maximise engagement in physical retail and on-trade channels.
More recently, Tim has led the Innovation Design Engineering (IDE) Master’s Programme at the Royal College of Art and Imperial College, and played a key role in establishing the RCA’s collaboration with the University of Tokyo – RCA–IIS Tokyo Design Lab.
Additional RCA Course Tutors and guest speakers to be announced.
Activities will be intense and stimulating but no prior knowledge or experience is required. Innovation is driven by difference and diversity, and we welcome people from all disciplines and backgrounds.
- have a collaborative attitude, as the course will be carried out in teams
- have a good level of English language.
- be 18 years or over.
How to book
Register interest to download the full course description.
Disclaimer: The information given is accurate at the time of publication, however, the RCA reserves the right to amend the described courses as circumstances dictate.
"A great course for anyone interested in end-to-end innovation, which covers a hands-on approach and methodology."Gabriela Seir
Coca-Cola European Partners
"I can go back to my company and implement immediately, as well as a host of proven tools to use during the process."Mohamed Dessouki
Innovation Manager, IDIA-X, Egypt