Designing Services & Products with ArtificiaI Intelligence
This forward-looking workshop will improve your business and creative collaborative managerial skills through AI-powered services/products, bringing a competitive edge to your business or brand. You will learn how to use your imagination to create innovative products and services that are not yet in the market, and develop projects through collaborative teams and first-hand design thinking experience. This course will help boost your strategic understanding of why and how AI helps you and/or your company engage with the public; please note it is not a course that teaches coding.
Through facilitated activities, you will design engaging, collaborative and meaningful services/products facilitated and co-created with AI, and learn when to use multimodal conversational interfaces through the experience of being an AI.
This course will give you methods and techniques to develop service and products that create engagement and foster collaboration. By solving tasks that promote understanding of human motivation through the experience of being an AI and a customer, you will learn to recognise and understand people’s decision-making dynamics. In collaborations through interdisciplinary teams, you will learn to analyse factors and identify, address and deliver targeted information, at the right time, through the appropriate interface.
Throughout the workshop, you will be supervised by experienced Royal College of Art design tutors and practitioners, who you will introduce methods, techniques and case studies relevant to the course. Activities are designed for single-user interaction or teamwork. Group workshop activities will simulate the decision-making process needed to undertake to complete tasks. Deliverables are shaped by you and your team.
In addition to practical skills and knowledge, you will benefit from the experience of RCA design teaching and exposure to the RCA creative community and culture.
New Date: Monday 19 November 2018
Duration: 1 day
Location: Royal College of Art, Kensington
What will I learn?
This course will offer:
- practical examples on how to use AI-powered technologies (like chatbots);
- guidelines and tools that support AI-facilitated interdisciplinary teamwork creativity;
- practical examples that simulate how your business can benefit from AI technologies
- practical examples that engage people and communicate your brand with ethics
- bespoke prototypes of interfaces that deliver meaningful information
- practical methods to design narratives based on the context in which people interact with AI to deliver tasks
- practical examples that simulate what the identity of your business could be with AI learning environments.
- practical methods of experiential design and storytelling
- guidelines for collaborative and interdisciplinary teamwork
- tools to analyse AI technologies, services/products to understand what/how they communicate to people
- tools of group brainstorming
- guidelines to develop new ideas efficiently in interdisciplinary teams
- practical examples to foster, boost and learn creative thinking
- guidelines to communicate ideas in diverse backgrounds
- practical tools to fast prototype a service or product
- practical examples and guidelines to understand dynamic systems and learning environments through experiential design
- practical examples of technology that understand the human perspective.
- Experience AI interaction with people.
- Return to your workplace with greater ability to work collaboratively in interdisciplinary teams facilitated by AIs.
- Create your own the methods that will help you imagine new products or services through experience.
- Experience the identity of your business in the AI society.
- Access a working culture that fosters creative thinking and collaboration.
- Experience the opportunities AI can offer to you and your business and identify a service or product to develop.
This one-day workshop balances teaching methods (case studies, examples, analysis) with fostering inspiration through participation and making (teamwork, prototype, experience, presentation). Participative learning will be facilitation in interdisciplinary teams of 3/4 people. The course will include:
- 1.5-hour lecture
- interdisciplinary teamwork collaboration
- 3-hour participative workshops
- 1-hour presentation
- 2-hours physical making.
Who should attend?
We welcome participants who want to embrace AI as a strategy and medium to understand and future forecast how new opportunities AI could develop in social interactions. Interdisciplinary groups are welcome, as well as professionals and academics with a non-design background who want to understand what AI can bring to their practice and knowledge base. We particularly encourage participants from:
- data visualisation/analysis
- UX design
- executive education
- business development
- sales and marketing
- SME business founders / co-founders / CEOs / Executive Directors
- manufacturing founders / co-founders / CEOs / Executive Directors
- politics and sociology.
This course will be delivered by staff from the RCA's School of Design: MRes Design Programme.
Dr Laura Ferrarello leads the MRes Design Pathway in the Royal College of Art’s School of Design. Laura is an active tutor and researcher; working across research projects with industry clients including the Lloyd’s Register Foundation, Fujitsu, Huawei. Laura has particular expertise in experiential and participative design methodologies applied to digital technologies. She has successfully delivered a number of industrial research projects through tangible artefacts and experiential workshops, which enabled companies to rethink the role and value of emergent technologies for people.
A background in art/design is helpful but not essential. This workshop welcomes both designers and non-designers.
Participants must have a good level of English language.
Register your interest to download the full course description.
Our short courses are very popular and places fill quickly. We particularly advise early application if you will need a tourist visa to enter the UK.