Head of Programme Welcome
Service Design applies design practice to the service sector – from retail and banking to transportation, health and education. Services represent around 80 per cent of the economy and offer a new frontier for designers seeking to make a difference.
Our Programme examines the complex systemic issues facing business and governments and creates new services to transform customer and citizen experiences.
The Programme has three platforms. The first, focuses on creating new consumers services, the second focuses on public service and policy innovation and the third looks decades ahead to envision radically new services and user experiences. Students can work across all three platforms or specialise in one.
The curriculum is truly trans-disciplinary, blending design expertise at the RCA with technology and business management from Imperial College’s MBA and Department of Computing, and is the leading programme of its kind globally. Uniquely, students get to work on live industry and public sector projects, while our research hub is helping shape this new discipline.
The Programme offers:
- An impressive employment record, with recent graduates joining IDEO, Fjord, Engine, Livework, EY-Seren, Government Digital Services, the Ministry of Justice, Future Public, Royal Bank of Scotland, Barclays, Jaguar Land Rover, IBM, Samsung, Tesco, Arup and McKinsey
- critical feedback to develop design identities
- tutors who are leading practitioners and researchers
- access to College workshops and technical facilities
- opportunities to exhibit in London and elsewhere
- collaborative projects with industrial partners.
"Right from the start, students are immersed in the unique interdisciplinary environment of the RCA, enabling them to become specialists in service design while participating in the education environment of the School of Design."