Head of Programme Welcome
The Design Products programme is about creativity for purpose – educating students to be design leaders who address real-world challenges through balancing high levels of creativity and technical capability with contextual insight and empathy for people. The Design Products identity is characterised by a pluralistic approach to designing for purpose through a number of design cultures – ‘Design through Making’, ‘Design for Manufacture’, ‘Object Mediated Interactions’, ‘Design as Catalyst’, ‘Exploring Emergent Futures’ – which are underpinned by a set of contextual and real-world themes. This structure provides a platform for students to conceptualise and validate ideas by canvassing, provoking, challenging and questioning people, places, things and systems through crafted artefacts. Through team and individual projects involving external partners and tutored by practising designers and design researchers, students determine their own design culture whilst building a portfolio of work that will locate them in their desired professional context. Graduates are creative catalysts and visionaries who go on to become leaders in their respective fields.
The programme offers:
- intensive teaching in study groups that we call 'platforms'
- a programme of activities related to the Themes
- tutors who are leading practitioners and researchers
- technical support for prototyping
- access to College workshops and technical facilities
- opportunities to exhibit in London and elsewhere
- collaborative projects with industrial partners
- a truly international perspective, with students from around 20 nations
"Students are expected to create their own cocktail of learning from the depth provided by the platforms and the breadth provided by the themes"