Head of Programme Welcome
The Design Products Programme is about creativity for purpose. We educate students to be design leaders, encouraging them to address real-world challenges through balancing high levels of creativity and technical capability with contextual insight and empathy for people.
The Design Products identity is characterised by a pluralistic approach to designing for purpose through a number of design cultures – Design through Making, Design for Manufacture, Object Mediated Interactions, Design as Catalyst and Exploring Emergent Futures – which are underpinned by a set of contextual and real-world themes. This provides a platform for students to conceptualise and validate ideas by challenging people, places, things and systems through crafted artefacts.
Through tutoring from practising designers and design researchers, students determine their own design culture. Team and individual projects, often involving external partners, help to build a portfolio of work that locates them in their desired professional context. Graduates are creative catalysts and visionaries who go on to become leaders in their respective fields.
The Programme offers:
- critical feedback to develop design identities
- tutors who are leading practitioners and researchers
- technical support for prototyping
- access to College workshops and technical facilities
- opportunities to exhibit in London and elsewhere
- collaborative projects with industrial partners
- a truly international perspective, with students from around 20 nations.
"Students are expected to create their own cocktail of learning from the depth provided by the platforms and the breadth provided by the themes"