A studio work space is provided for each student in large, well-lit mixed-discipline studios. In addition, students have the opportunity to access craft and technical workshop areas, and excellent technical support within the School and the College. Resources within the School of Communication include well-equipped computer studios for print and digital moving-image production, sound editing, a letterpress and book-binding workshop and spaces for installation work. All the studios are Wi-Fi enabled, with direct access to the College network. We have our own space for exhibiting work, and a breakout room for discussion and social events. The School also supports and maintains a professional-standard Digital Media Studio and Training Area as a College-wide facility.
By arrangement, students are also able to, and encouraged to use workshops and facilities in other Schools within the College. As well as College-wide facilities such as the Library and Drawing Studio.
- Resource Stores – Free hire of lens based media and AV equipment
- College Shop and Print Shop - Sells a variety of graphics and art supplies, wood and acrylic, stationary and paper to meet student’s daily needs at the College and provides various high quality large format inkjet printing in colour, grey scale and black and white available at both Kensington and Battersea sites
- Raw Materials Workshop - The workshop provides a cutting service for students and dispenses wood, plastics and metal sold through the College Shop and free hire of a selection of power tools and ladders
- Darwin Workshops - Model making and bench areas, wood workshops, metal fabrication and welding, a resin studio, spray booth, a synthetic clay studio and vacuum forming as well as general 3D making support
- Digital Aided Making - Provides subtractive manufacturing support for laser cutting, CNC machining and plasma cutting
- RapidformRCA - Rapidform provides a wide range of high-end additive layer technology for rapid prototyping, 3d scanning and software processes
- Ceramics and Glass - Facilities in the new Woo Building in Battersea includes areas for hot glass making, cold glass working, kiln forming, plaster model and mould making, pl astic clay making as well as clay and glaze development
- Jewellery and Metal - Also in the Woo building are processes available such as anodising, CAD/CAM-milling, computer modelling and rapid prototyping, casting, electroforming, enamelling, forging, tool making, patination, plating, presswork, spark erosion and laser, MIG and TIG welding
- Fashion - Workshops include a fabric stockroom, a dedicated fashion computer studio, a wide variety of specialist sewing machinery, for both apparel and footwear, as well as dummies and finishing presses
- Textiles - Provides a yarn store as well as workshops supporting knitting and linking, computerised knit, embroidery machines and mixed media, printed and woven textiles
- Lens Based Media and Audio - There are a variety of photography, animation and moving image studios that provide filming, lighting, sound, workshops, studio bookings as well as printing and scanning
- Painting and Sculpture - Materials workshops are provided for painting as well as a stretcher service and well equipped metal and wood workshops
- The Foundry - Supports a wide range of metal casting techniques including plaster and silicon rubber mould making for foundry work, lost wax work, ceramic shell investment, direct burn-outs, ludo investments, clay bond and CO2 sand moulding, melting, fettling cast work, tig welding, metal finishing, metal melting and pouring
- Printmaking - Comprise of Etching, lithography, intaglio, screen printing and letterpress areas. With a digital suite comprising of large format digital printing and reprographics workshop
*Please note that access to some of these facilities are subject to an induction and academic need.
"The students have access to an impressive range of facilities across the College, from glass-blowing, to rapid-prototyping, to textile weaving, to printmaking, to photography and film studios."