Prizes and Awards
Graduates and staff of the Animation programme win awards at national and international festivals and competitions every year. Here is a selection of awards RCA films and graduates received in the past.
'Peter And The Wolf' (2006) directed by 2001 graduate Suzie Templeton won the Oscar for Best Animated Short Film in 2008. The film premiered with a live Orchestra in the Royal Albert Hall, London in 2006 and was screened on Channel 4 Xmas 2006 and 2007.
In 2009, two of our graduates were nominated for an Academy Award in the Animated Shorts category. 'This Way Up' by Alan Smith and Adam Foulkes (1996).
BAFTA (British Academy for Film and Television Awards)
- My Dad (2014) by Marcus Armitage nominated for Best Short Animation, 2015
- I'm Fine Thanks (2011) by Eamonn O'Neill nominated for Best Short Animation, 2013
- The Eagleman Stag (2010) by Mike Please, Best Short Animation in 2011
- Matter Fisher (2010) by Dave Posser nominated for Best Short Animation in 2011.
Thursday (2010) by
Matthias Hoegg nominated for Best Short Animation in 2011.
- Guy101 (2005) by Ian Gouldstone, Best Short Animation in 2007
- Fish Never Sleep (2002) by Gaelle Denis, Best Short Animation in 2002
- Dog (2001) by Suzie Templeton, Best Short Animation in 2001
- Toxic (1990) by Andrew McEwan, Best Short Animation in 1990
Jerwood Moving Image Award
- Velocity by Karolina Glusiec (2012 graduate) won the Jerwood Moving Image Award 2012.
- Seachange (2007) by Joe King (tutor and 1999 grad) and Rosie Pedlow won the Jerwood Moving Image Award in 2008, which was donated with £10,000.
- Procrastination (2007) by Johnny Kelly (2007 graduate) won the Jerwood Moving Image Award 2008. Johnny also received a Royal Television Student Award for Best Postgraduate Animation in 2008.
ADOBE Design Achievement Award
In 2008, Rafael Sommerhalder won with his first year film Flower Pots and in 2009, David Prosser received an award for his film Clockwork. Both received a $3,000 cash prize, a selection of ADOBE products plus a trip to New York and Beijing respectively where the award ceremonies took place.
Recent finalists include Lilly Fang for The Thing Under the Tree (2013) and Julia Pott for Belly (2011).
Awards from Recent Festivals
- Meanwhile (2014) by Stephen McNally won Best Animation Student Film at the Sehsuechte Film Festival 2015, at Animafest Zagreb Croatia, 2015, and at The Smalls Film Festival London, 2014.
- Small People with Hats (2014) by Serina Nihei won Best Independent Short Animation at Ottawa International Animation Festival, 2015; Grand Prize at Primanima Festival Budaörs Hungary, 2014; and Best Student Film at both PISAF 2014, Puchon, Korea and Anim'est 2014, Bucharest, Romania, 2014.
- Loop Ring Chop Drink (2014) by Nicolas Menard won Best Student Film at Sommets du Cinema d’Animation Canada, 2014 and Anima Brussels, Belgium 2015.
- Half Wet (2014) by Sophie Gate won LSFF London Short Film Festival, 2015.
- Time Is Running Out (2007) by Marc Reisbig was awarded with the Prix UIP Cracow – the nomination to the European Film Award in the short film category, Krakow Film Festival 2008.
- Illusion Dwellers (2007) by Robb Ellender screened at Cannes Film Festival in the Cinéfondation programme in 2008.
International Animated Film Festival Stuttgart, Germany
In 2014 Luiz Stocklet received the The Lotte Reiniger Promotion Award and €10,000 for his film Home, previously awarded in 2009 to Kristian Andrews for Rabbit Punch.
In 2014 Daniela Sherer won The Young Animation Award for The Shirley Temple.
Best Animation School
At the Ottawa International Animation Festival, Canada the Grand Prize for Best School was given to the Royal College of Art in 1997, 1999 and 2001.