MA Entrance Requirements
Candidates for all MA programmes are assessed on their existing qualities as demonstrated in their work and in their interview, as well as on their potential to benefit from the programme and to achieve MA standards overall. The assessment will consider: creativity, imagination and innovation evident in the work; ability to articulate the intentions of the work; intellectual engagement in relevant areas; appropriate technical skills; overall interview performance, including oral use of English.
Candidates will usually have a good undergraduate degree or other appropriate experience and proficient written and spoken English. Professional experience, either before during or after a first degree, may be a benefit. Applications are welcomed from candidates from other related creative backgrounds, such as architecture, furniture design, product design, graphic design and sculpture.
- You should submit a digital portfolio via our online applications area of between four to ten completed projects. Each project should include a title image and up to 6 supporting gallery images. You should provide a description of maximum of 100 words for each title image and a caption of up to 50 words for each supporting gallery image.
- We recommend images between 1024 x 768 pixels or greater in size. All image files must be saved as JPG or PNG format with a maximum file size of 2MB. Video files can be submitted in place of images. MOV, MP4 or M4V formats are accepted with a maximum file size of 80MB. Other video formats can be referenced through a link to a video hosting site such as Vimeo.
- When submitting collaborative work, specify this and clearly indicate your role and responsibility.
- No actual objects, sketchbooks, physical portfolios or other media should be submitted at the point of application. Submission of any material not listed above will not be accepted. If you have any questions on the portfolio please contact us at email@example.com
Interview (if invited)
- The programme will contact you if you have been shortlisted and invite you to an interview.
- As you made an online portfolio submission, you should bring to interview a selection of your submission in its physical form, as well as any recent work or work in progress.
Cross College Requirements
For full details of cross-College entrance requirements and portfolio requirements (if applicable), see MA Entrance Requirements.
Fees & Funding
Applicants to the RCA from England and the EU are likely to be eligible for the new Postgraduate Student Loan of up to £10,000 per course of study.
See Tuition Fees for a breakdown of costs for Home and Overseas students on each of our degrees.
Students should estimate the cost of living in London at £12,000–£15,000 per year.
If you are from the USA you should note that the Royal College of Art is designated as an eligible institution for American students to apply for a Guaranteed Student Loan under the new Direct Loan Program. The RCA's School Code is 00942300.
If you are considering applying to the College, you can prepare for your application by researching the academic programmes offered by each of the Schools, and accessing the Tuition Fees and Funding Support information available. The College provides a number of bursaries towards fees and the costs of living in London. They are available to home and EU students on a competitive basis. For further details, please see Financial Help.