MA Entrance Requirements
Candidates for all MA programmes are assessed on their existing qualities as demonstrated in their work and in their interview, as well as on their potential to benefit from the programme and to achieve MA standards overall. The assessment will consider: creativity, imagination and innovation evident in the work; ability to articulate the intentions of the work; intellectual engagement in relevant areas; appropriate technical skills; overall interview performance, including oral use of English.
Prospective candidates are likely to be students of architecture with a three+two-year Bachelor and Master’s degree, or Master’s- equivalent five-year Diploma preferably in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Landscape Urbanism, Urban Design or other related design discipline looking to acquire expertise in large scale, environmental and ecological design projects.
Other backgrounds, such as social sciences, geography, urban studies, planning or econ- omics, will also be considered if prior work is of exceptional merit and students are able to demonstrate their ability to work alongside and contribute to multidisciplinary teams. Evidence of intellectual and professional curiosity and a readiness to engage in a rigorous and demanding period of study is essential.
- A Design Portfolio is a necessary requirement to enter into the programme, if your first degree is in Landscape Architecture, Architecture, Urban Design or a related design discipline. You should submit a digital portfolio via our online applications area of between four to ten completed projects. Each project should include a title image and up to six supporting gallery images. You should provide a description of maximum of 100 words for each title image and a caption of up to 50 words for each supporting gallery image.
- We recommend images 1024 x 768 pixels or greater in size. All image files must be saved as JPG or PNG format with a maximum file size of 2MB. Video files can be submitted in place of images. MOV, MP4 or M4V formats are accepted with a maximum file size of 80MB. Other video formats can be referenced through a link to a video hosting site such as Vimeo.
- If your prior degree is in a discipline with no design component, such as the social sciences, geography, urban studies, planning or economics, we will consider the application if prior work is of exceptional merit and students are able to demonstrate their ability work alongside and contribute to multidisciplinary teams. We will look for evidence of critical thinking, innovation and impact in the field when assessing applications from non-design related fields.
- When submitting collaborative work, specify this and clearly indicate your role and responsibility.
- No actual objects, sketchbooks, physical portfolios or other media should be submitted at the point of application. Submission of any material not listed above will not be accepted. If you have any questions on the portfolio please contact us at email@example.com
Interview (if invited)
- The programme will contact you if you have been shortlisted and invite you to an interview.
- As you made an online portfolio submission, you should bring to interview a selection of your submission in its physical form, as well as any recent work or work in progress.