MA Entrance Requirements
- RIBA Part 2 accredited since 1983
- Applicants to the RCA from England and the EU are likely to be eligible for the new Postgraduate Student Loan of up to £10,000 per course of study.
- You should have achieved a high-quality degree in architecture (RIBA Part 1) or an international equivalent degree or higher and should have at least one year’s experience working in a design office.
- You will need to demonstrate a commitment to your major discipline and an ability to respond to stimuli from unexpected sources.
- Evidence of sensitivity, invention, curiosity and a readiness to engage in a rigorous and demanding two years is essential.
- You should submit a digital portfolio via our online applications area of between four to ten projects. Each project should include a title image and up to 6 supporting gallery images. You should provide a description of maximum of 100 words for each title image and a caption of up to 50 words for each supporting gallery image.
- We recommend images between 1024 x 768 pixels or greater in size. All image files must be saved as JPG or PNG format with a maximum file size of 2MB. Video files can be submitted in place of images. MOV, MP4 or M4V formats are accepted with a maximum file size of 80MB. Other video formats can be referenced through a link to a video hosting site such as Vimeo.
- When submitting collaborative work, specify this and clearly indicate your role and responsibility.
- No actual objects, sketchbooks, physical portfolios or other media should be submitted at the point of application. Submission of any material not listed above will not be accepted. If you have any questions on the portfolio please contact us at email@example.com
Interview (if invited)
- The Programme will contact you if you have been shortlisted and invite you to an interview.
- You will be interviewed by up to three members of the academic staff and a student representative.
- As you made an online portfolio submission, you should bring to interview a selection of your submission in its physical form, as well as any recent work or work in progress.
Cross College Requirements
For full details of cross-College entrance requirements and portfolio requirements (if applicable), see MA Entrance Requirements.
Fees & Funding
Applicants to the RCA from England and the EU are likely to be eligible for the new Postgraduate Student Loan of up to £10,000 per course of study.
Tuition fees for 15-month MA programmes in 2017/18 are: UK/EU: £14,500 per annum; Overseas: £34,000 per annum.
Tuition fees for 2-year MA programmes in 2017/18 are: UK/EU: £9,500 per annum (£19,000 total fee); Overseas: £28,400 per annum (£56,800 total fee).
Fees for joint MA/MSc programmes differ. See Tuition Fees for further information.
Students should estimate the cost of living in London at £12,000–£15,000 per year.
If you are from the USA you should note that the Royal College of Art is designated as an eligible institution for American students to apply for a Guaranteed Student Loan under the new Direct Loan Program. The RCA's School Code is 00942300.
If you are considering applying to the College, you can prepare for your application by researching the academic programmes offered by each of the Schools, and accessing the Tuition Fees and Funding Support information available. The College provides a number of bursaries towards fees and the costs of living in London. They are available to home and EU students on a competitive basis. For further details, please see Financial Help.