Stair-Rover have raised £800,000 for sales of its longboard in Asia’s largest ever crowd-funding campaign
ROLI has raised £9.9 million in Series A and Series A follow on rounds making it one of the largest ever for a music hardware company
Ikawa raised over £150,000 in Kickstarter Campaign for its Home Roaster
Concrete Canvas have been ranked 16th fastest growing company in the UK by The Sunday Times Fast Track 100
Loowatt awarded a $1 million grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
The Higher Education Funding Council for England’s 2015 report Research to Assess the Nature and Annual Value of Student Start-ups, ranked the RCA as having ‘the highest number of student spin-outs with university ownership in recent years in the UK’. The RCA had 14, compared to four at Oxford University, Imperial College London and University College London and two at Cambridge University. This is quite extraordinary, given that the RCA student body is less than 1800 FT students.
Start-Ups, the numbers
- 82 graduate founders launched 56 design-tech start-ups
- £87 million turnover generated by our start-ups in the last ten years
- £44 million raised in investor funds
- Over £29 million turnover last year
- £130 million total start-up valuation
- Over £21 million in overseas sales
- Over 650 in-house UK jobs created
- Over £9 million secured of competitive R&D grant funding
- Many prestigious UK and international prizes
Duncan Fitzsimons, MA Industrial Design Engineering 2007 and MORPH™ Wheels creator
"The InnovationRCA programme was phenomenally important to me... it is absolutely vital that this support exists for other projects in the future."
Adrian Westaway, MA Industrial Design Engineering, 2007
"If you think back to the basic idea I had at graduation and the technology I have now – the progress has been just amazing."