Our External Education programme offers courses and workshops in people-centred design to governments, business, SMEs, practising designers, students and academics internationally.
This programme has been developed based on the methods, learnings and experience of working over 140 practical design projects with government, industry and voluntary sector partners over the last 15 years.
Modules balance classroom learning and exercises with experiential elements and immersive experiences. They empower people to use design more effectively within their organisations and are relevant to anyone looking to create and innovate from a more people-centred perspective.
Experiences are tailor-made and can last from three hours to five days. Programme teams are drawn from senior staff at the RCA and highly skilled design professionals from the Centre’s global network. Topics covered typically include:
design: benefits of the approach
- Service design: enabling a people-centred focus
- Tools and methods: that can be used the next day
- Design process: making it more creative and inclusive
- Case studies: sector relevant
The programme builds on ideas in a book created with the Norwegian Design Council’s Innovation for All programme. Entitled Innovating with People: the Business of Inclusive Design, it was written as a manual for developing a people-centred attitude to design.
- Civil Service (UK): workshop on design thinking for Whitehall high fliers delivered at 10 Downing Street with IDEO and other RCA faculty
- Civil Service (Hong Kong): inclusive design thinking and leadership for upcoming managers, delivered in partnership with the Hong Kong Design Centre
- Samsung (Korea): workshop for senior and
- BlackBerry (Canada): workshop for design
group, lecture company-wide
- Norwegian Design Council and Innovation
Norway: day-long sessions in five Norwegian cities including Oslo,
Kristiansand, Tromsø, Trondheim and Bergen
- INDM (Norway, Denmark and Finland): network
of Scandinavian CEOs and managers
- Kinnarps (Sweden): workshop on inclusive
design for senior innovation mnagers
- Stannah (UK): workshop on people-centred design for senior managers across the company
- Designing with People. RCA website giving practical advice, tools
and information on working with people in the design process
- Norwegian Design Council website for designers and business people