Flora is a visiting lecturer for environmental GIS and 3D GIS. She is an architect and a researcher at The Alan Turing Institute.
Flora is a research associate in the Research Engineering team at The Alan Turing Institute as well as a visiting lecturer here at the RCA fore both Environmental Architecture and City Design. She is a registered architect in Greece and the UK.
She completed her PhD in 2018 from the Bartlett Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis at UCL (EPSRC). She holds an MRes from CASA, and a diploma in Architecture Engineering from the Department of Architecture in the University of Patras. She previously worked as a city planner in Doxiadis Associates, in international master planning projects for four years.
School, Centre or Area
Flora is interested in the city of the future. She has worked in several domain areas such as urban and regional planning, urban data analytics and simulations, spatial analysis and visualisation. Her PhD and current work focuses on the integration of urban analytics in procedurally generated 3D cities, for the development of online 'what-if' scenarios. Other research areas include AI, remote sensing, virtual & augmented reality, IoT, as well as creative technology and projects involving public engagement and exhibitions.
- Provost's Engineering Engagement Award 2018, for the Drones4Good public engagement workshop, in collaboration with CASA and UCL Engineering.
- AAGBI Innovation in Anaesthesia Critical Care and Pain Award 2018, for the Little Journey app. By Dr. C. Evans, R. Moonsinghe, F. Roumpani, A. Bertzouanis, L. Henry.
- Greek Architectural Talent 2008-2013 (GRE A T), 2013 Project title: "New Athens City Museum”. (Publication: “41” Great Edition, Heracles GCCo, Athens, 2013).
- Honourable Mention in OEK-SIKA European Competition 2010, for Communal Sustainable Residences. Project title: "RESI_GEN”. Design Team: A. Valavani, F. Roumpani, M. M. Kolotourou, A. Bertzouanis.
- Selected work for the 5th exhibition of Greek Architecture (SANA), 2006. (Publication: "Man in Space - 5th exhibition of Greek Architecture, Papasotiriou, Patras 2006". Design team: F. Roumpani, A. Berzouanis).
Publications, exhibitions, other outcomes
2020 - Roumpani, F., Maricevic, M., Wilson, 2020. Data-driven modelling of public library infrastructure and usage in the United Kingdom. In Future Directions in Digital Information. Elsevier.
2019 - Milton, R., Roumpani, 2019. Accelerating Urban Modelling Algorithms with Artificial Intelligence. In proceedings of the 6th International Conference GISTAM 2019.
2018 - Roumpani, F., Hudson, P. and Hudson-Smith, A., 2018. The Use of Historical Data in Rule-Based Modelling for Scenarios to Improve Resilience within the Building Stock. The Historic Environment: Policy & Practice, pp.1-18.
2018 - Toumpalidis, I., Cheliotis, K., Roumpani, F. and Hudson-Smith, A., 2018. VR Binoculars: an immersive visualization framework for IoT data streams. Living in the Internet of Things: Cybersecurity of the IoT - 2018, 2018 page (7 pp.).
2015 - Batty, M., Hudson-Smith, A., Hugel, S. and Roumpani, F., 2015. Visualising data for smart cities. In Handbook of Research on Social, Economic, and Environmental Sustainability in the Development of Smart Cities (pp. 339-362). IGI Global.
2014 - Roumpani F., Hudson P., 2014. The evolution of London: the city's near-2,000 year history mapped, The Guardian, 15 May, for the Wellington Arch Exhibition.
2014 - Roumpani, F., Wilson, A.G., 2014. Science, communication and urban planning practice, in Digital Planning: Ideas to Make it Happen, 2014. RIBA Think Piece Series.
2013 - Roumpani F, 2013. Developing classical and contemporary models in ESRI's CityEngine, CASA working paper 191. Presented at the 2013 AUM Conference in Cambridge.
2013 - Batty, M., Gray, S., Hudson-Smith, A., Milton, R., O’Brien, O., Roumpani, F., 2018. Visualising Spatial and Social Media, CASA working Paper 190.
2013 - Roumpani F., O’ Brien O., Hudson-Smith, A., 2013. Creating, visualizing and modelling the real-time city, Conference Proceedings Hybrid City II, Athens, 2013.
2014, Selected work for the 'The Almost Lost' exhibition at Wellington Arch (English Heritage) with the animation “London Evolution”.
2015, Selected work for the Drawn To The Future exhibition at the Building Centre with the 3D printed model and projections of Lima.
2006, Selected work for the 5th exhibition of Greek Architecture (SANA). Publication: "Man in Space - 5th exhibition of Greek Architecture, Papasotiriou, Patras 2006". Design team: Flora Roumpani, Alexandros Berzouanis.
External collaborations and activities
- UCL: Public outreach activities, leading drone technology workshops (Drones4Good) for young people organised by UCL Engineering.
- Little Sparks Hospital: Working with VR technology for the development of applications that can reduce the anxiety levels for children undergoing surgery.