Terms of reference
- To make recommendations to Council in respect of appointment to the following offices: The Chancellor, The Pro-Chancellor and Chair of Council, The Vice-Chair of Council.
- To make recommendations on the overall size and composition of the Council’s membership.
- To make recommendations to Council in respect of the appointment of Chairs’ of Council committees.
- To make recommendations to the Council for the appointment of lay members of Council.
- To oversee and advise on the process for the appointment of the Vice-Chancellor, keeping succession planning under regular review.
- To keep under review the periods of membership of lay members of Council and make recommendations to Council for the renewal or non-renewal of appointments.
- To seek nominations for new lay members of the Council and to keep under review the processes for the recruitment of Council members, ensuring equality and diversity within governance.
- To keep under review the membership of committees and other bodies to which Council appoints members and to appoint members to vacancies.
- To keep under review the skills and expertise required on Council and its sub-committees with due regard for succession planning.
- To keep under review the appointment of co-opted members to committees or other bodies to which Council appoints members and to recommend to Council the appointment of members to vacancies.
- To keep under review processes for induction, continuing development and review of lay members of Council.
Constitution and Membership
Chair of Council (Chair), Baroness Rebuck
Vice-Chancellor, Dr Paul Thompson
Chair of Planning & Resources Committee and Vice-Chair of Council, Caragh Merrick
Lay Council member
Two independent members of Council, appointed by the Council
Quorum: Three members
Frequency of meetings: Two meetings per year