MA Entrance Requirements
Applications are now open. Although the priority deadline has passed, we continue to welcome and consider applications for all programmes with the exception of Global Innovation Design.
Candidates for all MA courses are assessed on their existing qualities as demonstrated in their work and in their interview, as well as on their potential to benefit from the programme and to achieve MA standards overall. The assessment will consider: creativity, imagination and innovation evident in the work; ability to articulate the intentions of the work; intellectual engagement in relevant areas; appropriate technical skills; overall interview performance, including oral use of English.
We seek to enrol students who:
- are imaginative, self-motivated, determined, passionate about their discipline, technically curious and professionally orientated
- understand that their commitment to the course is a significant investment in their future.
All candidates are required to submit an online portfolio of work to be assessed by the programme’s senior staff team and student representatives.
- The portfolio should illustrate the whole range of your creative work and give an insight into both the way you think, develop and research ideas, and to what excites you visually.
- Please submit up to ten digital images of finished work or work in progress. Each main image can be accompanied by up to six supporting images of relevant visual research or preparatory work, such as drawings, sketchbook scans or contextual references that are relative to your creative thinking.
- Images must be in JPG or PNG (2MB max, and we prefer 1024 x 768 pixels or greater).
Interview (if invited)
- As you made an online portfolio submission, you should bring a selection of your submission in its physical form, as well as your most recent work or work in progress. Please bring finished toiles/garments relating to one of your current portfolio design projects.
- You will be required to present a portfolio of work in progress and a set project.
- A personal research proposal is also required for discussion at this stage.
Cross College Requirements
For full details of cross-College entrance requirements and portfolio requirements (if applicable), see MA Entrance Requirements.
Fees & Funding
Applicants to the RCA from England and the EU are likely to be eligible for the new Postgraduate Student Loan of up to £10,000 per course of study.
MA tuition fees for 2016/17 are: UK/EU: £9,500 per annum; Overseas: £28,400 per annum.
Details of College bursaries are expected to be announced in May 2016.
Students should estimate the cost of living in London at £12,000–£15,000 per year.
If you are from the USA you should note that the Royal College of Art is designated as an eligible institution for American students to apply for a Guaranteed Student Loan under the new Direct Loan Program. The RCA's School Code is 00942300.
Applications are currently open for all programmes with the exception of Design Interactions, Painting, Print and Photography.
If you are considering applying to the College, you can prepare for your application by researching the academic programmes offered by each of the Schools, and accessing the Tuition Fees and Funding Support information available. The College provides a number of bursaries towards fees and the costs of living in London. They are available to home and EU students on a competitive basis. For further details, please see Financial Help.