The Royal College of Art aims to sustain a positive working environment where staff are recognised and rewarded for their contribution to the College. As part of this commitment, staff have access to a range of academic, pastoral and financial support services that include:
- A programme of staff development opportunities
- Funds to support teaching innovation
- An Employee Assistance Helpline, where College staff and their immediate families can access confidential help, information and support
All staff employed by the College on or before the 31 December of the academic year have an annual appraisal review with their Head of Programme or line manager. The annual appraisal provides an opportunity for a two-way discussion between staff and their manager surrounding issues about the work environment and development and progress in the employee's role. It also serves as one of the main ways of establishing college-wide staff training and development needs.
For more information about the appraisal process, please contact Human Resources.
Employee Assistance Helpline
College staff and their immediate families can access confidential help, information and support through the helpline, which is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including bank and public holidays. The helpline:
- Provides support to help you cope with life's demands e.g. work or family pressures, relationships, adjusting to change, stress
- Offers a range of free professional help and specialist advice
- Gives you access to information e.g. Citizen's Advice type queries, benefits, legal rights, money management, bullying, etc.
- Is an independent, confidential service with help available as soon as you call
- Is there for you and your partner if there is a need for couple counselling
- Offers you the options of information, telephone support or where appropriate, one to one meetings with qualified counsellors, either near to your home or work place
Nobody will find out you are using the Employment Assistance Helpline unless you choose to tell them.
If you have a problem or question, you can contact us free of charge on +44 (0)800 716 619 or visit the personal support service website.
RCA members can log in for additional support – please contact email@example.com for further details.
Learning and Teaching Strategy (2012–15)
The Learning and Teaching Strategy sets out how the Royal College of Art intends to demonstrate its position at the forefront of postgraduate art and design education. It aims to identify and address the challenges that the College faces in enhancing the learning experience, and in transforming the lives of those that study here and the creative industries that they join.
The Learning and Teaching Strategy is available under Corporate Information.
The College is committed to providing staff with opportunities for personal and career advancement. This is organised through the Personnel and Academic Development teams. The College runs a number of ad hoc training events throughout the year as well as dedicated staff development weeks. Funding can also be sought for specific training needs not already provided by the College. For more information contact HR.
Learning and Teaching in Art and Design
College staff can enrol on a programme of professional development in learning and teaching practice. This is on opportunity to connect practical and theoretical knowledge about art and design education. It is offered through the Centre for Learning and Teaching in Art and Design (CLTAD) and is open to anyone currently teaching, or in a role supporting learning and teaching.Participants can work towards a Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice in Art, Design and Communication.
Teaching Innovation Fund
The Teaching Innovation Fund is designed to support academic and administrative departments in improving the student experience. The College offers up to ten annual awards of £1,000 to support individuals and departments in making significant changes to their course or service. This initiative replaces the Learning and Teaching Project Fund (LTPF), which was in operation between 2000/01 and 2009/10.
In the past year, the College has funded the following projects:
- Curating and History of Design
- Teaching the Printmaking Archive
- Writing Images
- RCA Library Film
- Film Art
This funding will be available until the end of 2013/14.
+44 (0)20 7590 4148
Employee Assistance Helpline:
+44 (0)800 716 619